Emma Egerton

Emma Egerton |Allergy girl suffers fatal reaction to nuts in curry

Talented artist Emma Egerton collapsed at home after eating just one mouthful of a  dish bought online

A talented young artist died after suffering a massive allergic reaction to nuts in a takeaway curry recipe.

Emma Egerton collapsed at home after eating just one mouthful of a chicken tikka korma she bought online.

An inquest heard she’d ordered from a menu that had no warning the dish contained nuts, an inquest heard yesterday.

RELATED :

Allergies | After daughter’s death, parents vow to prevent food allergy fatalities

The 18-year-old student managed to dial 999 and left the door open for paramedics. But by the time they arrived she was unconscious and died in hospital.

Policeman’s daughter Emma had no idea the korma was cooked in nut oil and contained ground almond because their was no ­indication on the menu.

She had suffered hypersensitivity since she was five and had been warned a single nut could kill her.

However, there is no legal requirement to put nut warnings on takeaway menus, the inquest heard.

Emma’s dad John, a chief inspector with Greater Manchester Police, said: “Emma was very strict about this aspect of her life.If we were ever at our local Indian they would always use a different pan to the other dishes and would cook it fresh for her.

“She was very, very careful. I took her to France once and she joked, asking me why I took her to the nut capital. We ended up eating salads the whole time because she wasn’t confident the waiters had understood about her nut allergy.

Must Read:  Allergies :Why I'm Challenging You to Avoid the Top 8 Food Allergens This Week

“There are a lot of people who have died though allergies and there are lots of opportunities to prevent further deaths. I want to ensure they didn’t die in vain.

“Her allergy was built into our routine, but with this condition you can be left playing Russian Roulette.”

Furious coroner Joanne Kearsle said she would write to the Food ­Standards Agency to ­highlight the tragic student’s case.

Emma died at her home in Sale, Manchester, after ordering the curry from the nearby Spice of India takeaway through the Just Eat website, which had displayed the menu online. Police called to the house found a laptop open on her sofa showing the order she made that evening.

Just Eat boss David Butress said putting warnings next to dishes which contained nuts on menus was “not obligatory” but added a review was being carried out.

Coroner Ms Kearsle told the Manchester inquest: “We hear an awful lot about Food Standards and labels, and despite the fact these signs are required in restaurants, they aren’t in takeaways.”

She added: “Emma’s death touched many people, from the paramedics that tried to save her, to the doctors, witnesses and not least, family and friends.

“She was an extremely talented artist. She was a young girl who throughout her life had been aware she had suffered a severe nut allergy.

“She said it was testament to her family’s awareness and precaution to her condition that she never once used her Epipen.”

One British child in 50 suffers from peanut allergy and the numbers are rising fast. On average, seven die from it every year.

Must Read:  Allergies |5 Reasons Why Having a Food Allergy Shouldn’t Keep You from Traveling

Leave a Reply

Name *
Email *
Website