JS98214491

Woman with severe allergy suffers potentially fatal reaction to cocktail containing raw egg

Bar bosses at the Northern Quarter venue apologised and said they took immediate steps to change the menus to include details of allergens

A woman with a severe egg allergy has spoken of the horrific moment her throat started to swell after she suffered a reaction to a cocktail.

Rowan Bridgwood suffered the allergic reaction just seconds after sipping on the ‘Memoirs Of A Geisha’ cocktail at Lost In Tokyo in the Northern Quarter on Saturday night.

Realising that the drink must contain raw egg – an ingredient which can cause potentially fatal anaphylaxis for Rowan – she quickly took her medication and the symptoms eased.

Bar bosses have apologised and say they immediately took steps to change the menus to include details of allergens included in their drinks.

But Rowan, 26, from Bury , is now warning other bars to be extra careful to label ingredients and be aware of common allergens that can make customers ill.

She said: “I read the menu and there were not too many ingredients and no mention of eggs or foam, which I have learnt to look out for.

“After my first sip my lips started to tingle then my mouth and my throat started to close. It’s a horrible feeling because you feel as though you can’t breath. I’m very careful what I eat and drink.


Bosses at Lost in Tokyo say they took immediate steps to update their menus

“The manager was very apologetic and kept saying they would make sure the menu was changed.

“I just want to make people aware of these common allergens.

“I think places need to take into consideration how important it is. It’s so important that they label everything clearly.”

Must Read:  Shahida Shahid death: Teenager 'told Almost Famous about her food allergies before eating', inquest hears

Rowan was celebrating her boyfriend Sam’s birthday when she fell ill.

The school administrator, who carries an epipen with her at all times, felt better after taking her medication but was forced to go straight home.

She says she will not be returning to the popular bar again.

Bar manager Tom Small said the menus were immediately recalled and changed to include details of any allergens included in the drinks.

He added: “We have gone through the menus and they have been reprinted to avoid any future issues.

“We take this unfortunate matter extremely seriously and apologised to the customer at the time.

“The safety of our customers always comes first and we will display all allergens in cocktails from now on.”

Leave a Reply

Name *
Email *
Website