Food allergies can come in many different forms, but there are a few foods that are more common for people to be allergic to.
Many allergies can develop later in life, so it’s a good idea to be aware of allergy-like symptoms, which can be as mild as a light skin rash or as severe as having your throat close up. Food allergies can come in many different forms, but there are a few foods that are more common for people to be allergic to.
Cow’s milk is one of the most common allergies, especially in children. Most people grow out of this food allergy, typically by the age of six.
- Traces of milk can be found in skin and hair care products, as well as some paints.
- Milk allergies can cause all kinds of symptoms, ranging from bloating, gas, and diarrhea to skin rashes and hives.
A peanut allergy can be very severe and is one of the allergens responsible for causing anaphylaxis, or throat closure. For this reason, it should be monitored very closely and labels should always be checked to be sure there are no traces of peanuts.
Shellfish is the most common food allergy in adults. This allergy manifests later in life and is typically very severe.
- Shellfish can be found in vitamins, fish food and other store-bought items.
- Some people are allergic to crustaceans, mollusks or both.
- The reaction to a shellfish allergy can be very severe, with symptoms ranging from hives and rashes to throat closure.
Eggs are another common allergen for children, which they tend to outgrow by the time they are five or six years old.
- Parents should be aware that many immunizations are grown in hen’s eggs, and they can be dangerous for children with egg allergies.
- It’s a good idea to get kids tested when they are young.
Both adults and children can suffer from fish allergies, and these allergies tend to be severe.
- Watch out for restaurants that use gelatin, which is made from fish bones, or dishes that cook fish in the same oils and sauces as other foods.
These are the top five most common food allergies to be aware of, but people can suffer from all kinds of allergies. It’s important to monitor your health and make sure that you seek attention if you are experiencing serious symptoms.