In this article, you will get a 1200 calorie diet plan, especially for diabetes patients. Themenu meal plan is low in calories. The list involves some snacks and meals which you can also exchange with the samples or alternate recipes containing the same nutritional content. The proper intake of calories will help you to lose weight and lower the risks of heart problems as well. The diabetic patients must not skip any meal and according to the American Diabetes Association, skipping meal can reduce the sugar level. Diabetic patients have to eat a proper balanced diet almost every four to five hours. The 1200 calorie diabetic diet plan contains meals and snacks which are relatively low in calories.
The diabetic diet contains carbohydrates, fats, and protein in the meal but is low in calories and fat.
Carbohydrates are the main component in every meal almost, and they raise the sugar level in blood. Diabetic patients have to take a minimum amount of carbs in their diet plan. Foods like starchy vegetables, milk, yogurt, desserts, sweets, and grains contain carbohydrates. So diabetic patients need to control the intake amount of this food. Intake of carbohydrates and not performing any exercise may lead to high blood sugar and even cause damage to the body.
Diabetic’s patients have an increased risk of heart disease. The diabetic’s patients have to consume a diet which must be low in trans-fat and saturated. The trans-fat and saturated fats are available in animal products like butter, milk, cheese and other diary processed foods. The products which contain healthy fats are olive oil, walnuts, almonds, and avocado. So the 1200 calorie diabetic diet needs to be low in calorie and contain healthy fats but in a precise amount.
The serving size of the diabetic patient must be small for example single slice of bran, or whole grain bread contains the proper amount of carbohydrates.
- A large handful means 1 cup of food which becomes equal to the 8 ounces of liquid.
- One teaspoon is the size of your little finger`s tip.
- One tablespoon means the size of the thumb`s tip.
- Size of a Walnut equals to the two tablespoons
- ½ cup vegetables cooked means 1 cup fresh vegetables
- One tortilla corn or 1/3 cup of brown rice, ½ grapefruit or 6-8 ounces of low or skim milk, these all products contains the same nutritional content and can be exchanged.
Extra care and precautions are required to follow the 1200 calorie diabetic diet. Learn about the proper portion or serving size when you eat snacks or food. If you can learn the correct serving size, then you will be able to control your diabetes. Below is the sample of food. The meal products can exchange with the similar food products containing the same nutrition amount.
1200 calorie diabetic diet
- The breakfast must include one bran bread or whole wheat bread or bran flakes around 6 ounces
- One small banana of about 5 inches or half banana of 9 inches.
- 1 cup skim milk or low-fat milk
- One substitute for meat or 1 poached egg or scrambled egg or ¼ cup cottage cheese must be added to the breakfast.
Following food items can combine to make a proper full meal sandwich
- Meat of about 2 ounces or half cup packed tuna
- Two teaspoons of low-fat or light mayonnaise or low-fat butter one teaspoon
- One whole grain bread
- I lettuce leaf for sandwich or 1 vegetable like carrot, cucumber, onion, tomato
- Half cup chopped celery or any substitute for another vegetable like capsicum
You can also add fruit in your lunch
- One medium size orange or half cup grapefruit
- One glass citric juice without sugar
- One can of diet soda
- Meat of about 2 ounces or it can be chicken breast piece however the chicken leg contains the more amount of protein
- Half cup cooked brown pasta or 1 starch vegetable
- One teaspoon margarine or light mayonnaise about two teaspoon
- One vegetable but must be boiled or steamed. Like broccoli
- One fruit of about 1 and ¼ cup melon or watermelon cubes
- 1 cup skim milk
- The evening meal must be productive and healthy. So 15 almonds
- One bran bread slice
- You can use Graham crackers as well
- Protein sugar-free bars
- Digestive biscuits must be sugar-free
- You can eat Berries almost 1 cup
- Coffee or tea with the skim milk or unsweetened
Amount of water intake
If you are following a diabetic diet plan, then you must have a proper intake of water. You can even count some ounces you need per day.
Just divide your weight in pounds by 2 and the answer will be the number of ounces of water you need per day.
Suppose you weigh almost 150 pounds then 150/2= 75 which means you need 75 ounces of water per day and 75 ounces makes nearly 9 cups per day.
Do consult any nutritionist or any experienced about the serving size. You can also search on the internet. Various recipes are available online which can help you in cooking meat, chicken or vegetable. The names of the places where all the diet products will be available online. If you are facing any difficulty or problem or have any allergy from any food product, then do exchange it with the same nutrition amount. Consult doctor if you are taking any medicine or before following this diet.
Do plan your 1200 calorie diabetic diet with care. You must learn various options or exchange items before starting the die. You have the right to have a proper consultation.